Thursday, February 10, 2011

Simple Shiny Gold Technique

Metallic gold has been problematic for me.  When the very gracious Tim Lison asked me what painting advice I could use, metallic gold was my immediate response.  He walked me through painting the Dwarf pictured here.  It has been the "gold standard" (hur hur) for my gold painting endeavors so far, but I started wanting something a little different.

One common problem I have is that my gold looks too orange and not yellow enough.  Citadel's Shining Gold or P3 Rhulic Gold just don't look very gold to me.  Even Tim's Dwarf was intended to be a weathered gold rather than a new gold.  My attempts have met with varying success but I think I have the beginnings of a recipe now, and I'd like to share it.  Please feel free to modify and let me know how the mods go!  The goblin at right demonstrates the technique, and I've included Tim's Dwarf in each photo for comparison.

The steps are detailed in the captions.  For this example I used P3 Brass Balls, Vallejo Game Color Polished Gold, Reaper Master Series Polished Silver and Citadel yellow ink.  Any equivalent Citadel, RMS, P3 or VGC paint should work fine.  Citadel does not make inks any more, so I would recommend using P3 yellow ink (or any artist's ink) if you need to buy some.

1. basecoat with brass
2. wash with Devlan Mud
3. Paint polished gold on the upward facing areas.  This could be done as a drybrush if desired.
4. Add extreme highlights of polished silver very selectively.
5. Wash with a very thinned out yellow ink.

6. Shade very selectively with Leviathan Purple wash.

That's it.  It fits my needs for a more pale, yellower gold.  Let me know how it works for you!

3 comments:

  1. Love it, love the blog. Subscribed.

    I think you had me when you mentioned the lack of yellow. Pure gold is a wonderful yellow colour and I think your recipe is better than what I've used in the past. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, thanks for sharing this simple approach.
    Ron, From the Warp

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay thanks for that recipe! It's been ages since the last time I painted gold and thus, don't have any of those cept for the old (coat d'arms) citadel yellow wash that's kept wet inside its bottle over a decade.

    now I have to think what could I paint gold... maybe something menoth-like.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.