Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Skrolk!

I am, after 4 long years, painting my Skaven Lord Skrolk model.  Since returning from vacation Saturday I haven't been able to find my digital camera so no WIP shot to post, and I desperately want to post one.  He is looking awesome, if I do say so myself.

In terms of list building around Skrolk, I'm not really sure he's a good choice for a 2k game.  At nearly 500 points, you're putting a quarter of your army's value into one model.  All it takes is a nicely bounced cannonball to kiss him goodbye.  At the same time he's quite a killer, being a level 3 wizard and having the ability to charge in and kill opponents with his five uber-weapon attacks at I6.  Get hit, fail a toughness test and you're dead.  Just like that.  His Liber Bubonicus will be great against huge horde units too.  Since no armor saves are allowed you will on average kill at least 1/6 of the entire unit.  For lower toughness units (as hordes tend to be) it may be 1/3 of the models.  Ouch.

My friend Mark and I plan on playing another Skaven vs. Empire match at some point, and I am considering taking Skrolk.  Any thoughts?  I have multiple Grey Seer models and Warlords on Rat Ogre Bonebreaker or War Litter, and even characters like Queek that I could field as Lord choices for a lot fewer points.  Is Skrolk worth is at that point level?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure *any* of the Skaven characters are worth it, though local non-Skaven players seem to think Queek might be. I'm not convinced, however.

    Given how unimpressed I am with Plague Monks, I'd say Skrolk is absolutely not worth it. At that point, you're paying almost Grey Seer on Bell w/ full allotment of magic items prices for a Lvl 3 that lets you load up on guys who cost Stormvermin prices but aren't nearly as good.

    ReplyDelete

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.