Monday, October 12, 2009

Biscuity Endeavors

I have been on a quest to make decent biscuits for a while now. Not perfect ones, just decent ones. Until this weekend the best I could do was sort of Bisquicky dry lumpy things. I tried drop biscuits, rolled biscuits, multiple thin layers (hey it works for paint) and nothing ever came out the way I had envisioned.

Then along came Alton Brown.

On Thursday his show "Good Eats" was all about biscuits. By Saturday morning I was making biscuits that were decent. By Sunday night they were exactly what I had envisioned. The secret is all in the wheat. I kid you not.  If you don't have time to watch the video of the entire biscuit episode from the link above, just do this:
  • 2 C winter wheat flour (or 1.5 C all purpose and .5 C cake flour)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 C shortening
  • 1 C buttermilk
Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in shortening until about pea sized lumps remain.  Mix in buttermilk until you have a sticky dough ball.  Dump ball onto floured surface and press out with hands until it's about an inch thick.  Cut 2" biscuits and bake in a 475-500 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. How weird is it that I made biscuits from scratch this past weekend?!! Wish I had this recipe then! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.