Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's the Most Wonderful Time

Here in the Detroit area, a popular easy listening station plays 100% Christmas / holiday music from about 11/1 until New Year's Day. Yes, that is the recipe for insanity. I suppose people must listen to it, or WNIC (commonly heard in dentist office waiting rooms the other ten months of the year) wouldn't do it. I know we have it on a fair bit during this time, and we never listen to WNIC any other time.

After listening for a solid month, I find myself analyzing the songs.
  • Apparently there is a kind of tree that one would categorize as "the sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow." Does that imply that there are others around that do, in fact, mind the snow? Maybe the song was written for people in the tropics.
  • Even today, pumpkin pie is the primary motivator to travel the Tennessee / Pennsylvania route.
  • I am convinced that in "Merry Christmas, Darling" Karen Carpenter is singing to a dead person.
  • I am irritated by pseudo-religious Christmas music like "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Totally secular doesn't bother me. Accurate religious is ever better. Oblique references are no longer allowed.
  • If your Christmas song is more than 2% spoken word then it's not a song. Go bore the people at the poetry jam.
  • Sappy is one thing. I can enjoy sappy. "White Christmas" is sappy. If your song includes blatant attempts at tear-jerking then hit the road, Droopy.
  • Of them all, this season is so happy that it is hap-happy. Make a note of it.
  • "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" is great.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a lunch that's good and quick... Hot cheese Spamwich does the trick!

    ReplyDelete

I had to add anti-spam measures because, let's face it, almost nobody comments on blogs anymore unless they are spamming. Sorry.